24 major Fires Cases Recorded in Keta, Anloga MDA’s in 2020

BY: Akpabli Daniel Yao/Keta/VR

The Anloga Fire Officer of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS), A.D.O 1 Janet Womervor, has revealed that, the Anloga District and Keta Municipality has recorded a total of 24 major fire cases in 2020, a situation she described as alarming.

She said the major causes of the fire outbreak recorded in these two Municipal and District Assemblies (MDA’s) is negligence on the part of the citizens, uncontrolled bush burning and faulty electrical wiring for homes and workplaces.

According to A.D.O 1 Womervor, they always bring the resident together to sensitize them on the cause of fire outbreaks and also revisit the areas to investigate in case there is fire incident.

She noted that, the 60 seconds responding time has always been adhered to by their outfit in responding promptly to all the fire case in the two MDA’s.

Speaking further on the situation, the Safety officer of the Anloga GNFS Julius Maniase, explained that the main call for the fire and rescue service is to protect lives and properties which they are poised to anytime anywhere.

He noted that, 80% of the mandate of the service is to go round schools, institutions, individual’s workplaces, households among others to educate citizens on the necessary fire precautionary measures and the rest 20% it to rescue victims and properties of fire.

He reiterated that, the Ghana National Service is not only to respond to fire related issues in the Municipality but also embark on other rescue missions such as road accidents and many others for they have the equipment and training to help in such situations.

He said they also work in collaboration with other service such as the Ghana Police Service, the National Ambulance services, the Ghana Armed force and the partnership in the year 2020 has been very smooth making the GNFS and those institutions to respond promptly to bring situations under control.

He advice residence who are building their various apartments to also come to the GNFS after they have permit from the MDA’s  for technical advice before they start their buildings as he noted that, many citizens to not adhere to this important aspect of their building processes.

He further lamented the unavailability of fire hydrants in the Municipality and called on individuals and other stakeholders to assist.

He said many of the fire hydrants in the two Municipalities are destroyed by the road construction and the few remaining ones are not in good conditions.

He also said the accessibility of roads in the Municipalities during the golden hour has been affecting their respond to fire situations but was quick to praise the Anlo District Assembly for the good layout.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *